Friday, January 9, 2015

8 Things I Do ~ Eat Healthy and Supplement with Data (Part 2)

In Part 1 I went into what I eat from a macro-nutrient basis and why. In Part 2 I will go over the supplements I take and why.

Disclaimer ~ Do not just go out and buy what I take and think it will help you. I have built this supplement routine and schedule from my blood work results, my deficiencies and my symptoms and issues I am trying to resolve. I have also had health practitioners assist me in interpreting medical test results, selecting the individual supplements, choosing brands and formulating dosages. This is also constantly being tweaked and adjusted, the list today may not be what I need after my next blood tests. 

OK... Now that no one will run to the store and buy any of this stuff without getting blood work, talking to a health care practitioner or using their brain (If you need references or help on where to start EMAIL ME)... Here is what I take and why:

Vitamin D3 -  The test results I want are actually for 25-hydroxyvitamin D(ng/mL). Most standards are anything under 20ng/mL is a deficiency, under 30ng/mL is less than optimal and anywhere from 50-70ng/mL is optimal. In one of the larger tests the average american vitamin D level was 24ng/mL, so this is a highly common deficiency. Going outside and standing in the sun (without sunscreen), preferably as close to Noon as possible, increases Vitamin D production in the body and is the best way to get it. It is very difficult to obtain from foods, so if you can't go outside and need to supplement you want to get a Vitamin D3.

Magnesium - The test results I want simply measure the level of magnesium in the blood. This is not a common test on most blood panels, even some advanced ones, so I typically request this one be added. The results can be tricky as the body will release magnesium from the bones and tissues to regulate the blood levels, so watching calcium is important. Plus, going back to science class, magnesium and calcium are in the same column on the periodic table and very similar elements, so they essentially compete for absorption in the body. Studies show approximately 75% of americans are deficient in magnesium and those who supplement with calcium are at a higher rate of deficiency. Magnesium is difficult to obtain from foods in a normal american diet as well. I do an oral Malic Acid Complex and Transdermal Form of Magnesium , as most studies show transdermal (spraying it on the skin) is the most effective method of absorption for the body.

L-Methylfolate - This is a folate supplement and it is not "folic acid", which is a compound made in a lab and not the same a natural folate or l-methylfolate. I have MHTFR, so I had a reduced ability to "process" folic acid, thus should not eat it or supplement with it and really no one else should either. Companies fortify foods and use folic acid in vitamins versus folate simply for one reason = it is cheaper. Recent studies are hypothesizing folic acid could be the reason for the increase in autism and other brain related diseases, such as depression and addiction. Folate is critical for methylation, which is critical for detoxification, immune function, maintaining DNA, energy production, balancing mood and controlling inflammation. Folate is also critical for women to be able to both get pregnant and carry the baby to birth; that is folate is important, not folic acid. There is really no positive redeeming value to folic acid in my opinion, its a commercialized product to make corporations higher profits while complying with laws and creating health issues for millions of people. I could go on for ages about this one topic and have a previous blog on my MHTFR.

I get my Folate in the form of a B-Complex, as it adds in all the other B vitamins which are associated w/ folate processing and methylation ~ Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Panthethine (B5), B6, Biotin (B7), Folate (B9) and B12

Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12) - Previously my B12 was low from being a vegetarian (B12 is only found in animal products) and from MTHFR, which is a downstream effect of poor folate processing. A large study suggested approximately 40% of americans have low vitamin B12 levels. Standard normal ranges suggest "normal" is 200pg/mL - 350pg/mL. Advanced studies and other nations suggest normal ranges should actually be in the 500-550pg/mL range. In one year of supplementing with B12, while a vegetarian, I was able to raise my levels from 220pg/mL to 459pg/mL. I use Methylcobalamin and never Cyanocobalamin, because Cyanocobalamin has a cyanide molecule attached to it, which has to broken off in the body to make methylcobalamin, which is less efficient and leaves cyanide in the body, not good. Why do vitamins use Cyanocobalamin, well simply it is cheaper and they can make a larger profit. Sublingual (under the tongue) or injections are the preferred method of supplementing with methylcobalamin to bypass the digestive system. I've done both and currently use sublingual for the ease of it versus shooting up.

Trimethylgylcine - TMG is an important co-factor in methylation, so this I take for MTHFR as well. It is commonly called glycine betaine, which is found in beets, one of the new fad superfoods. Some athletes are using beet root for improving altitude training by increasing oxygen uptake, which is mostly subjective right now, I can't find any studies on it. Based on its' affect in methylation it could assist in some neurotransmitter and depression issues as well.

Fish Oils - There are million fish oil supplements, actually a search on Amazon found 8,306 under "fish oils". Fish oils are popular mostly for 1 thing, Omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA). There is a third Omega 3, ALA, which is found in nuts and seeds, and is converted to EPA and DHA in the body so less efficient of a method. The typical american has a 20:1 ratio of Omega 6s to Omega 3s and the optimal ratio is 1:1 to 2.3:1. There are now standard blood tests to see the amounts of Omegas 3s, 6s and the ratio.

Fish oils are fats, the brain needs fat. Continued harping from the diet blog, low fat is bad, low cholesterol is bad. People with low fat diets and low cholesterol are at a much higher risk for Alzheimer's, dementia and death. So, as I cannot eat 4+oz of salmon or other fish a day, I supplement with fish oil.

As there are so many fish oils, here are some tips. For a standard fish oil it needs to be triglycerized as there is better bioavailability in the body and brain. It also works best when eaten with a meal high in fat. It also needs to be fresh and preferably pure of toxins. To see if it is fresh, cut open one and if it smells like rotten fish, well it is.

I also take Krill Oil, mostly as it includes anti-oxidants such as Vitamins A & E and Astaxanthin. The EPA and DHA amounts are lower but as its a phospholipid form it may be more bioavalable.

Totals I get a day from fish oil supplementation are: EPA 840mg, DHA 535mg, Astaxanthin 80mcg.

Here is a good primer on Fish Oils by Chris Kresser I find helpful.

Curcumin - This is actually found in the turmeric spice and is commonly used in Indian and Thai cooking. Unless you eat those foods or make them often, which I do not as I do not eat out, then it's easier to supplement. Curcumin has long been known as a great anti-oxidant, with more recent studies hypothesizing it also can help in weight reductions though aiding in fatty acid oxidation, increasing adiponectin levels and lowering blood sugar levels. Other studies hypothesize it has a positive affect on digestive health and regulating neurotransmitters to help symptoms of depression. I take 150mg a day included in my Malic Acid Complex. I also take a Turmeric and Ginger supplement for their anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory affects ~ 300mg of each.

Alpha Lipoic Acid (R-Fraction) - This is a fatty acid which is an anti-oxidant and helps protect or prevent neurological decline with age. (Note: This is not the same as ALA (alpha linoleic acid) which is an Omega-3 fatty acid.) Alpha Lipoic Acid has been shown to help lower blood sugar levels in diabetics. Other studies hypothesize is aids in releasing the neurotransmitter glutamate as well as increasing dopamine availability. I get the 100% R-Fraction versus other supplements which are 50% R-Fraction and 50% S-Fraction as the R version is the only form which occurs naturally in the body.

Amino Acids - There are 21 amino acids humans need. Amino acids are what make up proteins. There are 9 essential amino acids which the body cannot make on its own, so I need to get them from my diet. I supplement some meals with Great Lakes Unflavored Beef Gelatin, which has 19 of the 21 amino acids and all of the essential amino acids except Tryptophan.

I specifically supplement with 3 amino acids  - Tryptophan, Phenylalanine, and Tyrosine. I use them for now to ward off sugar cravings and help support neurotransmitter function as I'm coming off long durations of taking SSRI's and other mood stabilizing medications. I also supplement with GABA to support neurotransmitter, it is not a amino acid though.


That's it right now. Again, don't just buy this stuff without getting some blood work done and consulting with a health care practitioner or someone who is qualified to assist you in building a plan from data. You may not harm yourself taking some of these things, but you could most likely be wasting money.

If you have questions about getting started, where to get blood work or other resources email me at douglashilbert@yahoo.com

I get most of my vitamins, minerals and supplements at Swanson Health Products. Use that link and get a $5 off coupon when you register for an account.

For past "Letters to My Son" blog posts go to ~ doughilbert.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment