Thursday, January 1, 2015

8 Things I Do ~ Read Real Books & Listen to Podcasts (Part 1)

Two things I try to everyday are read real books and listen to podcats.

I say real books because I like the ones made from paper with ink on them that I can hold, I don't like the whole kindle or nook thing.

I've listened to some audible books and they are ok, but I space out a lot, so it's tougher to get what I want from them versus a real book.

Right now I don't even read "books" as in the plural. There was a buddhist monk who expressed the opinon Americans read too many books, we never learn anything from one book and go read another one, thus are fairly fucking confused. He didn't say fucking, I added that for effect.

So I was told to read nothing for a while when I first started meditating, that way I wasn't adding any new bullshit into my messed up head. Then I was instructed I could read one book, over and over, and that finally I would at least understand one book. The other insight was each time I read that book, I'm different so i get something different from it.

The one book I'm currently reading over and over is Teachings on Love by Thich Nhat Hanh

Stay tuned for Part 2 where I'll give a list of all the podcasts I'm listening too!

If you have a favorite book I'd love to know what it is. I read and answer all email ~ douglashilbert@yahoo.com

For previous Letters to My Son blogs go to doughilbert.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment