Saturday, December 27, 2014

8 Things I Do ~ Eat Breakfast High in Fat & Protein


I used to get up, drink a pot of black coffee, smoke or chew tobacco and take some psych meds to "wake up". This of course was followed by a night of crappy sleep and likely some alcohol intake. Breakfast did not exist for years, unless it was a 2am trip to some diner.

Part three of my morning routine is now "breakfast". After getting the best nights' sleep I can, then doing some easy moderate exercise like yoga and walking fasted, I've now prepared myself for some caloric intake. I say caloric intake as it's not always solid food.

I start every morning with "Bulletproof Coffee", which is now fairly well known and popular, with coffee shops on the left coast actually offering it for customers to purchase, probably for $5 when it costs pennies to make. It has been made famous and is trademarked by Dave Asprey, a pretty awesome guy I like to follow, who has the Bulletproof Executive site and brand.

I use the traditional recipe ~ blending black coffee, 2 tablespoons of organic expeller pressed Coconut Oil and 2 tablespoons of Grassfed Unsalted Butter. That gets me 440 calories from 52g of fat, 0g of carbs and 0g of protein.

If I'm going to train hard that day I will also make some eggs and bacon or sausage. Any combination which will get me to about the 30g of protein level. Some research I've read shows 30g is about the max the body will be able to store or use at a time and the rest has a higher likelihood of being coverted to carbs through gluconeogenesis.

Starting the day with high fat and some protein helps keep my blood sugar in balance, with no noticeable spikes or sugar cravings through the day. I'll bracket some carbs around or within my training as insulin production is shut down during exercise.

This is one of the more simple and easily accomplished changes I've made to set myself up for better days and better health.

I'd love to hear your experience w/ Bullettproof coffee, high fat diets and anything else. I read and answer all emails ~ douglashilbert@yahoo.com

For all past "Letters to my Son" blogs go to doughilbert.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment